Can You Buy Effexor Online?
You can get a prescription and buy Effexor XR online, but not Effexor. Effexor XR is a newer formulation that causes less nausea than the original Effexor formulation, which has been discontinued.
To get an Effexor XR prescription, all you have to do is book an appointment with PlushCare.
One of our top U.S. doctors can write or refill a prescription online and send it electronically to a pharmacy of your choice. Of course, your PlushCare doctor will evaluate your condition and determine whether or not Effexor is right for you before writing or refilling a prescription.
To buy Effexor XR online, make sure the site you make your purchase through is reputable and safe. The FDA has a guide for choosing an online pharmacy, and you can always ask your PlushCare doctor for advice. Scam-pharmacies sell fake products that are illegal and can be harmful to your health.
Let’s talk more about Effexor so you can come to your appointment prepared.
What is Effexor?
Effexor is a type of antidepressant called a selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SSNRI). Effexor is a brand name of the generic drug venlafaxine and is used to treat symptoms of major depressive disorder, anxiety, and panic disorder.
Effexor and Effexor XR are mostly the same. Effexor XR is simply an extended-release formulation. They are both venlafaxine and “Effexor” is commonly used to refer to “Effexor XR.”
How does Effexor work?
Effexor helps balance chemicals in the brain. Normally, neurotransmitters (like serotonin) deliver messages to nerves in the brain and then are reabsorbed by similar nerves. All reuptake inhibitors work by blocking neurotransmitters from being reabsorbed by nerves and instead, the neurotransmitters remain in the synapse (the small space between nerves).
Effexor dosage and treatment
Follow the directions given to you by your doctor. Do not stop taking Effexor without talking to your doctor first even if you are feeling better. Long term medication is required to succeed in treating acute episodes of depression.
The usual dosages of Effexor XR are:
- Initial dose: 75 mg once a day. When Effexor is used to treat panic disorder, an initial dose of 37.5 mg once a day for seven days is usual.
- Maintenance dose: 75 to 225 mg once per day
- Maximum dose: 225 mg once per day. This is different for depression and social anxiety disorder. Some patients with extreme depression might take up to 375 mg once per day. For social anxiety treatment, there is no evidence that Effexor has added effect when more than 75 mg is taken.
Benefits of Effexor
Effexor and other neurotransmitter reuptake inhibitors are usually more effective and also have fewer side effects compared to older antidepressants such as tricyclics and MAO inhibitors.
Side effects of Effexor
Similar to other antidepressants, Effexor can increase suicidal thoughts and behavior in some people. In short term studies, this increase was only observable for people younger than 24 years old. For patients over 65 years old, Effexor actually reduces the likelihood of suicidal thoughts and behavior.
Severe allergic reactions to drugs are possible. Seek emergency care if you experience hives; rash; difficulty breathing, or swelling of the face, mouth, tongue, or throat.
Common side effects of Effexor:
- Nausea (58%)
- Headache (38%)
- Drowsiness (26%)
- Insomnia (24%)
- Dizziness (24%)
- Dry mouth (22%)
- Nervousness (21%)
- Anorexia (20%)
- Physical weakness (19%)
- Sweating (19%)
- Abnormal ejaculation (16%)
- Constipation (15%)
- Abnormal orgasm (13%)
- Anxiety (11%)
- Night sweats (11%)
- Tremors (10%)
This is not a complete list of all side effects. If you experience any troublesome side effects not listed here, speak with your doctor.
Considerations and precautions of Effexor
There are 596 drugs known to interact with Effexor, about 22% of these are severe. Be sure to discuss with your doctor if you are taking other medications, dietary supplements, or herbal products before taking Effexor.
The most common or severe interactions happen with the following medications:
- MAO inhibitors (do not take Effexor 7 days before or 14 days after using an MAO inhibitor)
- Adderall (amphetamine / dextroamphetamine)
- Remeron (mirtazapine)
- Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) and other antidepressant medications
- Alcohol (which can interact with the drowsiness side effect of Effexor)
Effexor may be dangerous for people with certain conditions. Be sure to tell your doctor if you have:
- Effexor can cause sustained increases in blood pressure. For patients who already have high blood pressure, Effexor should be used cautiously.
- Depression can worsen for some patients
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Urinary tract obstruction
- Weight loss, malnutrition, or eating disorders such as anorexia
- Bipolar disorder
- Thyroid disorders
- Bleeding or blood clotting disorders
- Low sodium
- Pregnancy: Effexor can cause serious lung problems in unborn babies, particularly during the third trimester. Effexor also passes into breast milk and can harm an unborn baby. If you take Effexor and become pregnant, talk with a doctor before discontinuing usage.
Get Effexor Online
To talk to a doctor about whether Effexor can you help you, click here. You can discuss your symptoms with a physician and they can recommend treatment options including psychiatric care and prescribe medication including Effexor XR.
Getting a prescription for Effexor has never been more convenient. Try an online consultation today. The average appointment lasts just 15 minutes and 97% of patients are treated on the first visit.
PlushCare takes content accuracy seriously so we can be your trusted source of medical information. Most articles are reviewed by M.D.s, Ph.D.s, NPs, or NDs. Click here to meet the healthcare professionals behind the blog.