Can you get an Onglyza Prescription Online?
Onglyza is the brand name of the drug saxagliptin. It can not be bought without a prescription from a doctor. Click here to set up an appointment online with a PlushCare medical professional and ask if Onglyza is right for you.
Or, continue reading below to find out more about Onglyza and how it may help treat your type 2 diabetes.
What is Onglyza?
Onglyza is a pill used to lower your blood sugar levels. It can help you on the path to a healthier life, and should be used in combination with a proper diet and exercise. Onglyza is designed to increase the amount of insulin in your body so as to better absorb glucose out of your bloodstream.
How does Onglyza work?
Insulin is released by the pancreas following a meal to increase the adsorption of glucose from your food so it can used by your organs and tissues. However, for those with diabetes, glucose is not leaving the blood for any number of reasons. This leads dangerously high blood sugar levels.
Onglyza is in a class of drugs called dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4) inhibitors. These inhibitors communicate with your pancreas and stimulate it to produce more insulin. They also slow your liver’s production of glucose, overall helping to lower blood sugar.
Onglyza dosage and treatment
The recommended dosage of Onglyza is 2.5 mg or 5 mg once daily. These should be taken at the same time each day, without meals. The tablets must not be split or cut, and you should always follow your doctor’s specific directions in regards to dosage.
If you are taking Onglyza with other forms of insulin, your dosage of either drug may be lowered to avoid hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
Benefits of Onglyza
Regaining control over your blood sugar levels is key to helping you live a healthy, full life. Onglyza is not a cure for diabetes, but can be used with lifestyle changes to help slow the progression and reduce the risks of the disease.
Onglyza can help protect you from the harmful side effects of diabetes which include damage in your heart and blood vessels, as well as stroke, kidney failure, and blindness.
Side Effects of Onglyza
Some common side effects include,
- sore throat
- mild joint pain
Tell your doctor if these persist or are severe.
More serious side effects of Onglyza are possible. Tell your doctor right away if you experience any of the following. Some may require immediate medical attention.
- Signs of an allergic reactions such as difficulty breathing, hives, or swelling of the face lips, tongue or throat
- Signs of pancreatitis like severe pain in the stomach or abdomen, nausea and vomiting, loss of appetite, or irregular heartbeat
- Signs of heart failure such as unnatural shortness of breath, swelling in your legs or feet, or rapid weight gain
- Severe joint pain
- Signs of high blood sugar such as dizziness, dry mouth, dry skin, nausea, stomach pain, increased hunger or thirst, increased urination
- Signs of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) such as feeling anxious, confused, dizzy, hungery, unusually weak or tired, sweating, shakiness, cold, irritable, headache, blurred vision, fast heartbeat, loss of consciousness
This is not a complete list of side effects. Tell your doctor if you have any other unusual problems while on Onglyza.
Book on our free mobile app or website.
Our doctors operate in all 50 states and same day appointments are available every 15 minutes.
See a doctor, get treatment and a prescription at your local pharmacy.
Use your health insurance just like you normally would to see your doctor.
Considerations and precautions of Onglyza
Set up an appointment online with one of our trusted doctors to find out if Onglyza is right for you. It is necessary for your doctor to know your complete medical history and any other medications you may be currently taking.
Drug interactions may change the way Onglyza works in your body. Some drugs Onglyza may interact with include,
- Antifungal medications such as Nizoral (ketoconazole) and Sporanox (itraconazole)
- Biaxin (clarithromycin)
- Some medications for HIV or acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) such as Crixivan (indinavir), Invirase (saquinavir), Norvir, in Kaletra (ritonavir), Reyataz (atazanavir), and Viracept (nelfinavir)
- Ketek (telithromycin)
- Insulin or oral medications for diabetes such as acetohexamide, Actos, in Actoplus Met, in Duetact (pioglitazone), Amaryl, in Avandaryl (glimepiride), Avandia, in Avandamet, in Avandaryl (rosiglitazone), Diabeta Glynase in Glucovance (glyburide), Diabinese (chlorpropamide), Glucotrol in Metaglip (glipizide), Prandin (repaglinide), Starlix (nateglinide), tolbutamide, and Tolinase (tolazamide)
Beta-blockers may also interact with Onglyza. These include,
Alcohol should be avoided while taking Onglyza as interactions may occur.
Who should not take Onglyza?
Do not take Onglyza if you are allergic to any of the ingredients in the drug.
Tell your doctor if you,
- have current or past kidney problems
- have had pancreatitis
- drink excessively
- have high levels of fats/triglycerides in your blood
- experience heart failure
- are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeed
Can you buy Onglyza online?
Law requires the consultation of a doctor in order to purchase prescription drugs, like Onglyza. With PlushCare, you can set up an online appointment today with one of our trusted doctors. Over the phone or on videochat, our doctors will determine if Onglyza (or a different medication) is right for you.
Our doctors at PlushCare can electronically send your prescription the pharmacy of your choice. Getting started is easy, just click here to make an appointment today!
PlushCare takes content accuracy seriously so we can be your trusted source of medical information. Most articles are reviewed by M.D.s, Ph.D.s, NPs, or NDs. Click here to meet the healthcare professionals behind the blog.