Can You Get a Voltaren Prescription Online?
Voltaren is a pain relief medication. You can get a Voltaren prescription online by having an online consultation with a doctor and getting a prescription, if needed. Just book an online appointment with PlushCare. Our doctors can write and refill prescriptions online and send them electronically to a pharmacy near you.
What is Voltaren and What Does it Treat?
Voltaren is a brand name of diclofenac, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that is used to treat mild and moderate pain. Drugs like ibuprofen and aspirin are also NSAIDs, but have different active ingredients and work slightly differently. Certain strengths and formulations of Voltaren are available over the counter, but some dosages are only available with a prescription. Voltaren is higher strength than over-the-counter NSAIDs such as ibuprofen and aspirin.
Voltaren can be used to treat a variety of common painful and inflammatory conditions, such as:
- Back pain, sciatica, muscle pain, period pain
- Arthritic conditions (osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and spondyloarthritis)
- Frozen shoulder
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Eye conditions that cause pain and inflammation as well as after corneal surgery
How Does Voltaren Work?
The sensation of pain is the result of lots of messages being passed through nerves, with reactions at nerve endings. Several factors contribute to the transmission of pain through these nerves, including hormone-like compounds called prostaglandins. Prostaglandins are physiologically active molecules that are involved in inflammation and cause nerve endings to become more sensitive. Voltaren works by blocking the production of prostaglandin and so reduces the sensitivity of nerve endings.
Voltaren Dosage and Treatments
The dose and formulation of Voltaren depends on what condition is being treated. It is most widely available as tablets (either as immediate release or extended release forms) or creams (for topical use). It is important to follow the instructions on your prescription label. A general guide for dosing is below, but this might be different if you have other health conditions such as kidney failure, and so you should always seek advice from a doctor before taking Voltaren.
Oral Tablets: Delayed-Release and Extended-Release (Voltaren XR)
- For osteoarthritis take two tablets of 75 mg or three tablets of 50 mg per day. Extended-release tablets are single doses of 100 mg.
- For rheumatoid arthritis: take three or four tablets of 50 mg or two tablets of 75 mg per day. Extended-release tablets are single doses of 100 mg.
- For ankylosing spondylitis: take four tablets of 25mg per day with one optional 25mg dose before bed.
Voltaren gel is a topical option for treating joint conditions such as arthritis or muscle pain. It is massaged into the skin over the affected area. Dosages of Voltaren gel are measured using a plastic card that comes with the medication.
- For hands, wrists, and elbows: apply 2g to the painful joint four times a day. Do not apply more than 8g total in a single day for any individual joint.
- For feet, ankles, and knees: apply 4g to the painful joints four times a day. Do not apply more than 16g total per day for any individual joint.
- For both arm and leg joints, do not exceed 32g per day total.
You should never apply Voltaren gel to open cuts, mucous membranes, or eyes. Do not mix Voltaren gel with other topical gels or creams such as lotion, sunscreen, repellent, and others.
Voltaren Ophthalmic Solution:Eye Drops
For cataract and corneal refractive surgeries, use four drops per day. Continue for about two weeks with cataract surgery and about three days with corneal refractive surgery.
Benefits of Voltaren
Voltaren can help with a wide range of conditions by managing pain symptoms. Voltaren does not prevent painful conditions, it only reduces painful symptoms.
Side Effects of Voltaren
Common side effects of Voltaren include:
- Stomach bloating, pain, or cramping
- Constipation or diarrhea
There are some more rare and serious side effects of drugs such as Voltaren. If you experience any of these side-effects you should stop taking Voltaren and seek medical advice straight away.
- Blood in stools
- Cloudy urine
- Itchy skin or rash
- Lower appetite
- Nausea and vomiting
Considerations and Precautions of Voltaren
In addition to the side-effects mentioned above, NSAID drugs such as Voltaren are associated with several other adverse effects. Voltaren can increase the risk of heart attacks and stroke. This is especially true for people who already have heart disease. For this reason Voltaren should never be taken just prior to or after heart surgery, and people with a history of heart disease should consult a doctor before taking any NSAID medication.
NSAIDs can cause stomach bleeding, which can be a serious problem. The risk of this is higher in elderly patients, people with poor kidney function and patients consuming alcohol. You should avoid NSAIDs if you have a history of peptic ulcer disease.
NSAID drugs can also worsen respiratory conditions such as asthma. If you have asthma you should talk to you doctor before taking Voltaren, as there is a risk of causing asthma attacks, which can be serious.
Many of these risks are minimal if Voltaren is only taken for a short duration, but you should still discuss these with your doctor before taking Voltaren. Make sure your doctor is aware if you have a history of any of the following conditions:
- Heart problems (heart failure, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, previous heart attack, blood clots, and tobacco use)
- Previous stroke
- Stomach ulcers
- Liver disease or kidney disease
- Fluid retention
Voltaren and all NSAID drugs can cause interactions with other medications. Many of these will not lead to any specific or significant problems, but before taking Voltaren, inform your doctor of any other medications you are taking.
Some common interactions:
- Risk of kidney problems if NSAIDs are taken with medications such as Cyclosporine, some medications for hypertension and some antifungal drugs such as aciclovir
- Risk of toxicity of drugs such as Lithium and Methotrexate
- Increased risk of bleeding with blood thinners such as warfarin, alcohol, if taken with other NSAIDs like aspirin, ibuprofen, and other formulations of diclofenac (Voltaren) and with steroid medications like prednisone
Can You Buy Voltaren Online?
Voltaren is available over the counter from most pharmacies. You should be very cautious of any website that says you can just buy Voltaren directly, as some such websites sell counterfeit drugs or formulations that are not approved. The FDA has a helpful guide for identifying rogue online pharmacies.
Although you can just buy and take Voltaren, there are risks associated with taking such medications, and it is always more sensible to consult with a doctor and make sure that it is the right treatment for you before taking it. fortunately, there are reputable websites like PlushCare where you can have a consultation with a doctor online and decide whether or not Voltaren is the best option for you. If a doctor decides that Voltaren it is right for you they can send your prescription to a local pharmacy for pick up, or help you select a reputable online pharmacy. Buying Voltaren online through PlushCare is easy! Book and appointment today to find out for yourself.
PlushCare takes content accuracy seriously so we can be your trusted source of medical information. Most articles are reviewed by M.D.s, Ph.D.s, NPs, or NDs. Click here to meet the healthcare professionals behind the blog.