Can you get a Humulin N Prescription Online?
Humulin N is the brand name of drug NPH insulin or isophane insulin. Humulin N is an intermediate acting insulin taken most often in combination with short acting insulin to last for a period of approximately seven hours. Humulin is used to control high blood sugar for those who live with diabetes.
Click here to find out if Humulin N is right for your health needs by setting up an online appointment with one of our trusted PlushCare medical professionals. Or read on to find out more about Humulin N and how to get a prescription online.
What is Humulin N?
Humulin N is used to regulate blood sugar levels in adults and children with diabetes. Humulin N is designed to help assist your body when it’s natural insulin cannot properly regulate glucose in your blood.
How does Humulin N work?
Humulin N is an intermediate insulin, meaning is starts to work within 1 to 4 hours after injections, and peaks somewhere between 4 to 12 hours.
Humulin N works by replicating the mechanism of naturally produced insulin. Insulin is a peptide hormone produced by beta cells in the pancreas to achieve glucose metabolism. Insulin is released by the pancreas following a meal to increase the adsorption of glucose from your food so it can be used by your organs and tissues.
For those with diabetes not enough insulin is released so glucose remains in the bloodstream, increasing bloodsugar to dangerous levels. Humulin N is used to tell your organs and tissues to use the glucose in your bloodstream – just as insulin would.
Humulin N dosage and treatment
Type One Diabetes: recommended beginning does is .5 – 1 unit/kg daily.
Type Two Diabetes: dosage is divided between morning and evening:
- In the morning it is recommended to take 2/3 of daily insulin with a ratio of regular insulin to Humulin N of 1:2
- In the evening you may take 1/3 of daily insulin with a ratio of regular insulin to Humulin 2 of 1:1
Dose adjustments are done based on glucose testing and may vary by your weight, body type, or other factors. Always take Humulin N as exactly prescribed by your doctor.
Benefits of Humulin N
Regaining control over your blood sugar levels is a step towards a healthier you. Humulin N can help you take that step.
Controlling your blood sugar levels is key to preserving your health. High blood sugar levels can lead to damage in your heart and blood vessels. It can also cause stroke, kidney failure, blindness and loss of limb. Proper medication combined with a healthy diet and exercise is the best way to slow the progression of your diabetes.
Side Effects of Humulin N
The most common side effects of Humulin N include,
- Low blood sugar
- Redness, rash or itching at the injection site
- Thickened skin at the injection site
- Unexpected weight gain
- Low potassium levels resulting in muscle weakness or muscle cramping
Contact your doctor as soon as possible to alert them to these side effects.
More serious side effects of Humulin N may include,
- Swelling in your hands and feet caused by fluid buildup
- Changes in your eyesight, such as blurry vision or vision loss
- Heart failure resulting in extreme shortness of breath or sudden weight gain
- Allergic reactions (skin rash, hives, itching, swelling of the face, lips or tongue)
- Signs of high blood sugar such as dizziness, dry mouth, dry skin, fruity breath, nausea, stomach pain, increased hunger or thirst, increased urination
- Signs of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) such as feeling anxious, confusion, dizziness, increased hunger, unusually weak or tired, sweating, shakiness, cold, irritable, headache, blurred vision, fast heartbeat, loss of consciousness
Seek medical attention immediately if you are experiencing any of these serious side effects.
Considerations & precautions of Humulin N
Set up an appointment online with one our trusted doctors to find out if Humulin N is right for you. Always tell your doctor your complete medical history and any other medications you may be currently taking.
Humulin N interactions
Humulin N may interact with any of the following,
- other diabetes drugs
- fluoxetine, which is used to treat depression
- sulfonamide antibiotics such as sulfamethoxazole
- hormonal contraceptives, including birth control pills
As well as beta-blockers used to treat high blood pressure such as,
Who should not take Humulin N
Do not take Humulin N if you are allergic to any of its ingredients or have an episode of low blood sugar.
Before starting Humulin N tell your doctor if you,
- Have current or past kidney problems
- Are pregnant or planning to become pregnant
Can you buy Humulin N online?
Not exactly, but with PlushCare you can make an online appointment with a licensed doctor who will help determine if Humulin N (or a different prescription drug) is right for you. Either over the phone or a video chat, you online doctor will help find the right treatment for you, and can electronically send your prescription the pharmacy of your choice.
Getting started with PlushCare is simple. Click here to make an appointment with one of our trusted doctors and get a Humilin N prescription Online.
PlushCare takes content accuracy seriously so we can be your trusted source of medical information. Most articles are reviewed by M.D.s, Ph.D.s, NPs, or NDs. Click here to meet the healthcare professionals behind the blog.