Warning: The use of certain antidepressants to treat major depressive disorder (MDD) in adolescents may increase the the risk suicidal ideations and behaviors. While taking antidepressants mental health can change in unexpected ways. You should call a doctor right away if you experience any suicidal thoughts. Always talk to a doctor about the risks and benefits of taking antidepressant medication before beginning treatment. Buying prescription drugs online is illegal without a prescription from a licensed doctor. Sites that claim you can receive prescription drugs without speaking with a doctor first are breaking the law and should not be trusted. There is no way to guarantee drugs sold without a prescription are the correct medication or dosage.
Can You Buy Antidepressants Online?
The short answer is yes. But you will need a prescription from a licensed doctor first.
The Anxiety and Depression Association of America estimates 40 million adults over the age of 18 will experience clinically diagnosable anxiety or depression every year. Many of these individuals may benefit from an antidepressant.
Thanks to telehealth platforms like PlushCare, diagnosis and treatment are now more convenient and confidential than ever.
Read on to learn about how online doctors can prescribe antidepressants so you can get the relief you need.
Can You Buy Antidepressants Over the Counter?
No, you cannot buy antidepressants over the counter. As mentioned above, you will need a prescription to obtain any kind of antidepressant medication.
There are many different types of antidepressants all for different conditions, with different risks and side effects.
Which antidepressant you are prescribed depends on a multitude of factors only doctors are able to determine.
For this reason you cannot get antidepressants over the counter, and will need to speak with a doctor or psychiatrist to get a prescription.
Who Can Prescribe Antidepressants?
You can get an antidepressant prescription from an online doctor or psychiatrist for any necessary antidepressants.
The doctor can then send your prescription to an online pharmacy for delivery or to your local pharmacy where you can pick it up.
Make sure you use a reputable telehealth platform to get your prescription — like PlushCare, which is HIPAA secure, safe and confidential.
Our doctors have an average of 15 years of experience in the medical field and can write prescriptions for antidepressants.
PlushCare doctors can also refill prescriptions that you have already been taking – as long as they are not classified as a controlled substance.
Once you have a prescription, you can get antidepressants (and other medications) delivered to your door by major online pharmacies.
PlushCare doctors can write prescriptions to any of the following online pharmacy options:
- HealthWareHouse Pharmacy
- Honeybee Health
- CVS Pharmacy Online
- And many More…
Before ordering medication from an online pharmacy make sure it is legitimate. There are lots of fake online pharmacies out there claiming to sell medications that when tested, turn out to be something else.
All real online pharmacies should have a registration number easily available that you can use to verify it’s legitimacy.
To get treated for depression or anxiety online follow these three steps:
- Schedule an online appointment with a doctor or psychiatrist, he or she will ask you a series of questions as part of a comprehensive diagnostic evaluation. He or she may ask you about your lifestyle and family history.
- If your doctor determines that you are experiencing depression, he or she may recommend a variety of treatment options, which may include antidepressants. Some depression is due to environmental factors, and can be treated with dedicated lifestyle changes. Other types of depression may require medication to regulate brain chemistry. There are many different types and brands of antidepressants. Your doctor will be able to explain the benefits and risks of each.
- After your appointment, you will pick up your prescription from a local pharmacy of your choosing, or have them delivered from an online pharmacy.
Common Antidepressants We Prescribe Online:
- Cymbalta, Lexapro, Amitriptyline
- Zoloft, Celexa, Paxil
- Sertraline, Escitalopram, BuSpar
- Wellbutrin, Fluoxetine, Effexor
- Bupropion, Sarafem, Citalopram
- Amoxapine, Cipralex, Clomipramine
It’s important to note that antidepressants are not a cure-all. They are incredibly powerful for “getting back to baseline” during a difficult time. Some people even take them their entire lives.
Antidepressants are not a cure for mental health disorders, rather they are a means of symptom management.
It’s very important to improve your mental health with a blend of therapy, mindfulness, self-help and medication.
Much of mental health improvement is self-directed, so make sure you discuss a comprehensive approach to solving your mental health challenges with your doctor, in addition to any necessary medication.
Read More About Getting Prescriptions Online
- Can a Virtual Doctor Write a Prescription?
- How to Speak to an Online Psychiatrist
- How to Get an Antidepressant Refill Online
- What is the Difference Between Therapy and Psychiatry?
Anxiety and Depression Association of America. (nd). Facts and Statistics.
American Psychiatric Association. (2017). What is Depression?https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/depression/what-is-depression
Mayo Clinic. (2017). Antidepressants: Selecting One That is Right for You. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/in-depth/antidepressants/art-20046273
Mayo Clinic. (2018). Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT). https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/electroconvulsive-therapy/about/pac-20393894