Can You Get an Invokana Prescription Online?
Click here to set up an appointment today with one of our trusted PlushCare doctors who can determine if Invokana is the right treatment for your medical needs. Or, continue below to find out more details about Invokana.
What is Invokana?
Invokana is pill taken once a day to help you control your blood sugar levels. It is used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes, and is the longest prescribed SGLT2 inhibitor in the United States.
How Does Invokana Work?
Invokana acts as a mechanism which directly affects the function of your kidney. Part of the kidney’s job is to filter glucose out the blood, and to deliver it back in. The proteins that put sugar back into your blood are called sodium-glucose transport proteins. SGLT2 inhibitors, such as Invokana, block these proteins which means less glucose is reabsorbed by you blood, instead passing it out of your body when you urinate.
When combined with an active lifestyle and proper dieting, Invokana could help you manage type 2 diabetes to live a healthier life.
Invokana dosage and treatment
Invokana is a convenient once-daily tablet. For patients new to the treatment, you may begin with a 100 mg dose. For additional control, you may be asked to take up to 300 mg once daily.
As with every prescription drug, take Invokana exactly as directed by your medical professional.
Benefits of Invokana
Invokana can help you live a happier, healthier lifestyle. The convenience of a daily oral pill makes it easy for you treat your type 2 diabetes. Controlling your blood sugar levels reduces the risk of major cardiovascular risks such as,
- heart attack
- cardiovascular death
Although Invokana is not a weight loss drug, studies have shown that patients on Invokana treatment plans have lost an average of 2-3% body weight.
Book on our free mobile app or website.
Our doctors operate in all 50 states and same day appointments are available every 15 minutes.
See a doctor, get treatment and a prescription at your local pharmacy.
Use your health insurance just like you normally would to see your doctor.
Side Effects of Invokana
Common side effects of Invokana include,
- genital yeast infections
- urinary tract infections
- changes in urination
- vaginal itching
- skin sensitivity to sunlight
- hypersensitivity reactions (including skin redness, rash, itching, hives, and swelling)
Many of the common side effects are a result of drug causing you to excrete more glucose in your urine. Let your doctor know if you experience any of these side effects for a prolonged period of time or if they cause severe pain.
Some serious side effects have also been found to occur. If you experience any of these symptoms stop taking Invokana and contact your doctor immediately. Some may require immediate medical attention,
- acute kidney failure
- bacterial infection of the kidney and renal pelvis
- broken bone
- decreased calcification or density of bone
- diabetic ketoacidosis
- giant hives
- kidney disease with reduction in kidney function
- life threatening allergic reaction
- necrotizing fasciitis of perineum or genital area
- sepsis caused by bacteria
Although extremely rare, Invokana may increase your risk of loss of limbs. Amputations mainly involve removal of the toe or part of the foot, although some amputations involving parts or the whole of the leg have occurred.
Considerations and Precautions of Invokana
Using PlushCare you can set up an online appointment with one of our doctors to see if Invokana is right for you. Just click here.
Invokana may interact with other drugs, so it’s important to know what to look out for in order to keep yourself safe. Be sure to tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following:
- alpha agonists (e.g., clonidine, methyldopa)
- angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors (ACE Inhibitors; captopril, enalapril, ramipril)
- angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs; e.g., candesartan, irbesartan, losartan)
- barbiturates (e.g., butalbital, pentobarbital, phenobarbital)
- beta-adrenergic blockers (e.g., atenolol, propranolol, sotalol)
- calcium channel blockers (e.g., amlodipine, diltiazem, nifedipine, verapamil)
- diuretics (water pills; e.g., furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide, triamterene)
- diabetes medications (e.g., chlorpropamide, glipizide, glyburide, insulin, metformin, nateglinide, rosiglitazone)
- inhaled corticosteroids (e.g., budesonide, ciclesonide, fluticasone)
- low-molecular-weight heparins (e.g., dalteparin, enoxaparin, tinzaparin)
- monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs; e.g., moclobemide, phenelzine, rasagiline, selegiline, tranylcypromine)
- oral corticosteroids (e.g., dexamethasone, hydrocortisone, prednisone)
- quinolone antibiotics (e.g., ciprofloxacin, norfloxacin, ofloxacin)
- selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs; e.g., citalopram, duloxetine, fluoxetine, paroxetine, sertraline)
Please keep in mind this is not a complete list. Always tell your doctor your complete medication history and any current medicine you may be taking.
Who Should Not Take Invokana
It is not know if Invokana is safe for children under 18 years of age. You may be at risk of amputation if you have a history of loss of limb. Tell your doctor if you have have had heart disease, narrow or blocked blood vessels, nerve damage, diabetic foot ulcers or sores, or kidney problems.
Can You Buy Invokana online?
Not exactly, but with PlushCare you can make an online appointment today! The law requires you consult with a doctor before receiving a prescription medication. Our trusted doctors at PlushCare will help you determine if Invokana (or any other prescription drug) is right for your medical needs.
Either over the phone or on video chat, our doctors will help you find the right treatment and send it to the pharmacy of your choice!
Getting started with PlushCare is simple! Click here to make an appointment with one of our trusted doctors.
PlushCare takes content accuracy seriously so we can be your trusted source of medical information. Most articles are reviewed by M.D.s, Ph.D.s, NPs, or NDs. Click here to meet the healthcare professionals behind the blog.