Can You Get Medication Online Without a Prescription?
In a time when healthcare costs are skyrocketing, you might have seen emails and ads that claim medications can be obtained online without a prescription. And while this is true, ordering from just any pharmacy can be a big mistake.
It may be tempting to buy medications online without a prescription because many online pharmacies are located outside of the United States and offer prices for drugs that are significantly lower than market prices here in the U.S. But buying medications without a prescription online is illegal. According to U.S. federal law, a pharmacy must have a prescription with a healthcare provider’s signature in order to sell you certain medications.
Currently, the U.S. law does not allow the foreign purchase of prescription medication. This includes purchase in Canada and Mexico. Despite the illegality, many Americans are willing to take the risk, especially because of inadequate or lack of health insurance and the medications needed are expensive.
If you are thinking about buying medication online without a prescription, there are a few things to consider:
- According to the FDA, some brand name medications that are used outside of the U.S. may not have the same active and non-active ingredients. In some cases, they may be completely different.
- Buying online drugs without a prescription from an overseas pharmacy may appear to save money but it could end up costing more in the long run if the medication is not effective or you have an adverse reaction to the drug.
- A medication label may not display a list of ingredients in the product or may not be in a language you can read.
With the advent of telemedicine websites, the medical diagnostic process has changed how we view treating and diagnosing patients. Now it is possible to see a doctor online who can conduct an “examination” in a video chat via your smartphone or laptop and offer you a prescription for medications in a safe and confidential manner.
Telehealthcare doctors are board-certified practitioners who have gained accreditation from the governing body in their state. These telehealthcare practices have grown vastly in the last few years. In fact, approximately seven million Americans were treated through a telehealthcare service in 2017.
Some of the most common types of medication that can be obtained online through a telehealthcare website are:
- Allergy medications
- Oral contraceptives
- Decongestant nasal sprays
- Cholesterol lowering drugs
- High blood pressure medications
- Erectile dysfunction medications
There are many pharmacy websites online that provide convenient, private, and legal options to purchase medications. But you must be careful. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, there are many rogue online pharmacies that offer prescription medications at rock bottom prices and they claim that you don’t need a prescription to buy them. These illegal online pharmacies often sell medicines that haven’t been approved by the FDA or are counterfeit. Buying medication from these kinds of online pharmacies can be dangerous and may put your health at risk.
Book on our free mobile app or website.
Our doctors operate in all 50 states and same day appointments are available every 15 minutes.
See a doctor, get treatment and a prescription at your local pharmacy.
Use your health insurance just like you normally would to see your doctor.
How Can You Tell if a Telehealthcare Site is Legitimate?
There are several ways that you can protect yourself from buying bogus medication online. Look for the following warning signs from online pharmacies:
- Offer prices that are too good to be true
- Spam or email you receive that offers cheap medication and is unsolicited
- Online pharmacies that are outside of the United States
- They don’t have a U.S. state-licensed pharmacist on call to take your questions.
How Do You Know if it’s a Safe Online Telehealthcare Site?
Luckily, there are ways to identify a legitimate online telehealthcare website. Look for the following factors:
- They require a valid prescription from your regular healthcare provider or through a telehealth physician.
- They are licensed by the state board or an equivalent state agency.
- There is a pharmacist or doctor available to answer your questions.
- They are based in the United States and have a verifiable street address.
Getting Medication Online with PlushCare
Getting medication online with PlushCare is easy. Our doctors can provide new prescriptions if necessary to treat a variety of medical problems . Online doctors are also able to give you refills of previously prescribed medication as long as it is not classified as a controlled substance.
PlushCare dedicates itself to providing services that are affordable, safe, and convenient. They provide medications that require a prescription for common illnesses and injuries for both children and adults.
PlushCare and Insurance
PlushCare accepts health insurance from many different providers such as:
- Blue Shield of California
- Anthem Blue Cross
If you don’t see your provider listed give a call 1-800-221-5140 or email [email protected] for more information.
PlushCare also provides appointments for those without insurance. For these patients there is a $99 flat-rate fee. This is more affordable than most walk in clinics making seeing a doctor online not just more convenient but also affordable.
Doctors at PlushCare can prescribe a medication for up to 90 days. Our doctors can also refill prescriptions for noncontrolled substances. These prescriptions are sent electronically to the pharmacy of your choice for easy pick up.
If you’re looking for medication online make the safe choice and get a prescription from an online doctor. This way you know you’ve been properly diagnosed and that the medication you receive is safe and will treat your condition.
To book an appointment with a PlushCare doctor and get medication online, click here.